Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Unexpected Gift

So I came into work this morning and had a package sitting on my chair with my name on it... VERY mysterious.

I slowly opened the sealed manila envelope and out popped a salmon-colored booklet. Ahhhh... I could recognize this anywhere. The dimensions: 5 1/4 x 7 3/4. It was a script! I fanned the pages and a sense of calm, well-being, and familiarity came over me. Usually when I receive a script I have a little ritual that I follow, but I'm at work and a sense of decorum is in order. Therefore, I can't do my little dance or get me a glass of Cranberry and Sprite Zero with a squeeze of lime and curl up on some comfy surface to dive into a new journey that is a play.

So where did this lovely gift come from? From none other than my esteemed colleague, Bob Larsen from California! Very respected for his talents, tastes, and overall genius! The play: Darwin in Malibu by Crispin Whittell. A million Thanks Bob! I can't wait to enjoy! Although, not really "unexpected" since Bob told me it was coming, it was just unexpected today. But VERY appreciated.

Which comes to my mini-lesson of the day. As Actors, it is possible to give your colleagues and the audience "unexpected gifts" during your performance. I mean, do you really want to give the audience "Julie Andrews" when doing the Sound of Music, or would you rather give them YOU! "Unexpected gifts" can be the best thing for the overall dynamic of the show, but it must be done correctly and TAOLA can help you hone your skills so that you can freely give "unexpected gifts" throughout your performance.

Now if only lunch time would come sooner so that I can start enjoying this script!

Don't forget to Bookmark us and share this Blog!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment